I loved screaming the Secret Word... all day. Much to my parents' chagrin. I thought Miss Yvonne was the prettiest woman on TV (sorry, Murphy Brown). I wanted my very own big blue talking chair. Life was good.
Thanks to my friends at Shout! Factory, Pee-wee showed up in my mailbox for review as they celebrate the first time the series is on DVD (Seasons 1 and 2, available at Wal-Mart) and Blu-ray (Complete Series), which both hit the shelves on October 21st, 2014. I got the DVD version. It took some convincing at first, but TV Boy agreed to let me watch it... and he is hooked. Neither of the Pee-wee movies appealed to him (Big Top Pee-wee is on Netflix right now!), but he is in love with Pee-wee's Playhouse. My 80's mom heart swells with pride!
In fact, he is so hooked on Pee-wee, TV Boy built Pee-wee's Playhouse in Minecraft. No lie. With about a thousand villager "Pee-wee's". Yeah, this is serious.
There were a few things I remembered well from the show:
- Pterri being afraid of the thunder and hiding under the bed
- Pee-wee's awesome scooter
- Shouting the Secret Word
- Jambi's "Mecha lecha hi, mecha hiney ho!"
- The Penny cartoons
- That the King of Cartoons had an announcer for the first season, Dixie
- That Pee-wee had a pretty obvious crush on Miss Yvonne
- Captain Carl was played by Phil Hartman
- Pee-wee had the coolest phone EVER
- Randy was a jerk
- Pee-wee married a fruit salad, like, for real. Because he loved it so much.
However, there were definitely a few things that slipped my mind, or that my young, naive self had no idea about:
|This is a literal screen-shot... took a pic of the TV with my phone.|
|Aw, Reba! We love you! ©Shout! Factory.|
- Randy smoked in an episode! The message was fantastic, but holy cow can you imagine trying to get that past parents today?
- Cowboy Curtis was actually Laurence Fishburne (billed as Larry, even)! And he was only in his mid-20's! How did I forget that?! Fishburne has some fantastic things to say about the cast and crew in the DVD special features (also available on the Blu-ray set).
- Reba the Mail Lady (S. Epatha Merkerson) went on to be on Law & Order for pretty much ever.
- The theme song is sung by Cyndi Lauper! I didn't know this until watching the special features, but wow! It doesn't even sound like her.
- The music for the show was done by Mark Mothersbaugh from DEVO, like all other great kids' shows of that era. Of course. The man is a legend.
|Aw look, little Laurence Fishburne! ©Shout! Factory.|
I'm happy to have such an influential piece of my childhood in my home that I can pop on whenever I want to. Especially since TV Boy looks at me sideways when I tell him about the plight that was having to wake up at a specific time to watch my favorite shows and how you could only record them if you had set up your VCR and had room on the tape-over tape that lived in it. I'm older than DVR, and that blows the boy's mind. We had it rough, you guys. ROUGH.
You can pre-order the Blu-ray set on Amazon!
*Disclosure: I received a copy of the Seasons 1 and 2 DVD for review purposes. Please see my Disclosure tab for more information.